St Mary Le Bow was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 before being rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren. The definition of a cockney is someone born within earshot of the Bow Bells, which refers to the bells of this church.
The original church on the site was established around 1080 and was the London HQ of the archbishop of Canterbury. It was destroyed in the Great Fire of London and again during world war 2. The current church was rebuilt in 1964. The crypt dates from 1080.
UG: Mansion House 0.2km
UG: St Pauls 0.31km
UG: Bank 0.33km
Always check details regarding opening hours, accessibility and pricing before travelling.